Loved this Race Being Split in 2 Days
09/13/2020 11:13:30 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Just wanted to provide feedback that this was the most enjoyable race I have been to at this course. We weren’t packed in like sardines and I had a great time at the “Large School” race day! Great job on splitting it up!
Just wanted to provide feedback that this was the most enjoyable race I have been to at this course. We weren't packed in like sardines and I had a great time at the "Large School" race day! Great job on splitting it up!
09/13/2020 3:53:08 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Totally disagree. Part of the fun of cross country is going to big meets that feature lots of schools and excitement on the same day. This is part of what makes cross country at the high school level great. Often, Alabama XC rarely has meets with more than about 20 teams. Meets at this venue are often the exception to that and the charged atmosphere is super exciting. Plus, it is far easier to judge overall performance when everybody runs in relatively the same weather conditions and time. At so many meets, the small schools get treated like a cash cow without respect to real performance. Things like having to race later, the course being disassembled while their race is on the trail, or having to compete with the bigger schools JV for awards. While often the large schools have better teams because of depth, the small schools often have some of the better individual runners and a race like this one gives those athletes the chance to compete against the best competition and the was missing for many this year. So, while I understand your sentiment, the excitement generated when the crowds are large and all over the course and the races are full is part of the best of the sport. The State Meet, if it ends up being held over multiple days like this, will lose a lot its flavor to its detriment. The split may have been necessary, but that does not mean it was a real improvement.
Totally disagree. Part of the fun of cross country is going to big meets that feature lots of schools and excitement on the same day. This is part of what makes cross country at the high school level great. Often, Alabama XC rarely has meets with more than about 20 teams. Meets at this venue are often the exception to that and the charged atmosphere is super exciting. Plus, it is far easier to judge overall performance when everybody runs in relatively the same weather conditions and time. At so many meets, the small schools get treated like a cash cow without respect to real performance. Things like having to race later, the course being disassembled while their race is on the trail, or having to compete with the bigger schools JV for awards. While often the large schools have better teams because of depth, the small schools often have some of the better individual runners and a race like this one gives those athletes the chance to compete against the best competition and the was missing for many this year. So, while I understand your sentiment, the excitement generated when the crowds are large and all over the course and the races are full is part of the best of the sport. The State Meet, if it ends up being held over multiple days like this, will lose a lot its flavor to its detriment. The split may have been necessary, but that does not mean it was a real improvement.
09/13/2020 5:43:41 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Agree with renfro, especially after last year's debacle.
Agree with renfro, especially after last year's debacle.
09/14/2020 10:04:24 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@jterino I agree. XC is about the best people being on the line at the same time and racing head to head. It is incredibly hard to judge performance (even on the same course) on different days. Personally, I say limit entries to 7 athletes per team and lets roll. That means roughly 30 percent less athletes on the course during any race.
@jterino I agree. XC is about the best people being on the line at the same time and racing head to head. It is incredibly hard to judge performance (even on the same course) on different days.

Personally, I say limit entries to 7 athletes per team and lets roll. That means roughly 30 percent less athletes on the course during any race.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.