Fairview Hay of a Run 2013
10/09/2013 1:53:43 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Is it just me or are these times are much much faster than their PRs...
Is it just me or are these times are much much faster than their PRs...
10/09/2013 3:06:48 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Yes, they are, but they traditionally are for this meet (see 2011 and 2010 results). Not a problem if you are only looking at performances for this course or this event. The database, however, does not reflect these type of issues since it just records times and assumes that all 5K courses are the same.
Yes, they are, but they traditionally are for this meet (see 2011 and 2010 results). Not a problem if you are only looking at performances for this course or this event. The database, however, does not reflect these type of issues since it just records times and assumes that all 5K courses are the same.
10/09/2013 5:56:53 PM
User
@jterino That is a question I have always wanted to ask and have never been able to find the answer. Are these 5K XC courses not required to be certified like USATF road courses? And since I am on the subject-is the course at Moulton exactly 5K?
@jterino That is a question I have always wanted to ask and have never been able to find the answer.

Are these 5K XC courses not required to be certified like USATF road courses?

And since I am on the subject-is the course at Moulton exactly 5K?
10/09/2013 9:27:53 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
There is no requirement for a course to be certified in the rule book. Many road race courses are not certified. They must be certified for records to count or for legitimate championships to be held. I would maintain that the same should apply for cross country courses. I think all courses should be the distance they are advertised to be. If the course is stated to be 5K, then it should be 5K, not 3 miles or 3.4 miles. I have no real reason to doubt the distance at Oakville, but there have been enough events held there over the past decade or so that it is easy to have a an idea of what times mean from that course.
There is no requirement for a course to be certified in the rule book. Many road race courses are not certified. They must be certified for records to count or for legitimate championships to be held. I would maintain that the same should apply for cross country courses. I think all courses should be the distance they are advertised to be. If the course is stated to be 5K, then it should be 5K, not 3 miles or 3.4 miles. I have no real reason to doubt the distance at Oakville, but there have been enough events held there over the past decade or so that it is easy to have a an idea of what times mean from that course.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.