AHSAA State Track and Field 1A-3A 2013
04/29/2013 11:41:52 AM
User
This last year there were some "challenge" areas for some of the event facilities for the 1-3A State Meet held in Selma. The track slopes off (about 18 inches) near the infield shotput circle. A 3200 meter girl was bumped inside and fell into the hole. Luckily she was able to get back into the race without injury. Has this been addressed yet? I know money is always tight, but the safety of our children and their ability to perform should not be overlooked! Who at the State office can address these issues?
This last year there were some "challenge" areas for some of the event facilities for the 1-3A State Meet held in Selma. The track slopes off (about 18 inches) near the infield shotput circle. A 3200 meter girl was bumped inside and fell into the hole. Luckily she was able to get back into the race without injury. Has this been addressed yet? I know money is always tight, but the safety of our children and their ability to perform should not be overlooked! Who at the State office can address these issues?
04/29/2013 3:00:11 PM
User
According to the Selma Paper, the problems at the facility were caused by the "bad" attitude of the fans. I went by a couple of months ago and the hole you described was still there. It did not appear that they attempted to fix any of the problems that were brought to their attention after the meet last year. The article talked about how they held a meeting recently for the hotels and food joints to let them know to get ready for the influx but that very few showed up. Notably absent were the Holiday Inn Express and the Hampton. The Hampton being the hotel that way overbooked and caused schools to relocate upon arrival to as far away as Marion. They mentioned the shortcomings of the hotels, food establishments and retailers but did not accept blame for the condition of the facility. The State association already knows they did not fix any of the problems and I believe they are already negotiating with other venues for next year. If you read on here last year, all involved knew nothing would be fixed and we would be stuck there again. Lets hope the state does the right thing, quit sticking there hands out for gifts for themselves and do the right thing for the kids for a change for next year.
According to the Selma Paper, the problems at the facility were caused by the "bad" attitude of the fans. I went by a couple of months ago and the hole you described was still there. It did not appear that they attempted to fix any of the problems that were brought to their attention after the meet last year. The article talked about how they held a meeting recently for the hotels and food joints to let them know to get ready for the influx but that very few showed up. Notably absent were the Holiday Inn Express and the Hampton. The Hampton being the hotel that way overbooked and caused schools to relocate upon arrival to as far away as Marion. They mentioned the shortcomings of the hotels, food establishments and retailers but did not accept blame for the condition of the facility.

The State association already knows they did not fix any of the problems and I believe they are already negotiating with other venues for next year. If you read on here last year, all involved knew nothing would be fixed and we would be stuck there again. Lets hope the state does the right thing, quit sticking there hands out for gifts for themselves and do the right thing for the kids for a change for next year.
04/29/2013 8:16:50 PM
Coach
Easy fix to the hotel and food problem...don't stay in Selma. I refuse to do so. We stay elsewhere and drive a little longer for a decent hotel and edible food. And like most everyone else, I knew the problems would not be fixed. Don't forget, the AHSAA also as much as told us last year we were not to complain, that it would be "unprofessional" to point out problems. They'll say the same this year and again blame the messengers...bet on it.
Easy fix to the hotel and food problem...don't stay in Selma. I refuse to do so. We stay elsewhere and drive a little longer for a decent hotel and edible food. And like most everyone else, I knew the problems would not be fixed. Don't forget, the AHSAA also as much as told us last year we were not to complain, that it would be "unprofessional" to point out problems. They'll say the same this year and again blame the messengers...bet on it.
05/05/2013 8:35:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
My second trip to Selma for the state track meet, and the facilities were still inadequate. It is nothing against the fine people of Selma. I met several locals who were very nice and helpful, and hate the image of the town is impacted by those who thought a "championship event" there was a good idea. The high jump. And long jump pits were not up to par. Just look at ALL of the performances and see how they were not even as good as their sectional jumps. Ready to give the kids a "real" experience next year. I feel bad for the seniors who leave knowing their final performance was impacted by politics.
My second trip to Selma for the state track meet, and the facilities were still inadequate. It is nothing against the fine people of Selma. I met several locals who were very nice and helpful, and hate the image of the town is impacted by those who thought a "championship event" there was a good idea. The high jump. And long jump pits were not up to par. Just look at ALL of the performances and see how they were not even as good as their sectional jumps. Ready to give the kids a "real" experience next year. I feel bad for the seniors who leave knowing their final performance was impacted by politics.
05/05/2013 9:19:20 PM
User
Not sure what was worse. Officials knowing the lj/tj were dangerous and allowed it to continue the first day. Of the fact the meet director said there was an assumed risk and blamed the issue of the boards on the manufacturer. Or maybe is was the fact in the coaches meetings people were talked down to like children and badically told to shut up and dont complain.....oops.
Not sure what was worse. Officials knowing the lj/tj were dangerous and allowed it to continue the first day. Of the fact the meet director said there was an assumed risk and blamed the issue of the boards on the manufacturer. Or maybe is was the fact in the coaches meetings people were talked down to like children and badically told to shut up and dont complain.....oops.
05/07/2013 11:45:26 AM
Coach
During most of the 1A-3A Triple Jump events, there was a light rain shower in Selma on Friday, a head track official told several 3A coaches and their triple jumpers that due to the "slippery jump boards", they will place some tape on the runway and the jumpers will use that tape as a jump board. Several coaches DIRECTLY told that head official that there are FOUR SLIPPERY JUMP BOARDS in front of the jumpers and there is a HIGH POSSIBILITY that THE JUMPERS MIGHT SLIP ON THOSE BOARDS DURING ONE OF THEIR THREE JUMP PHASES. That head official ignored those jumpers and coaches’ comments and proceeded with the triple jump competition. I noticed several jumpers that almost slipped on one of those jump boards during warm-ups and ONE JUMPER SERIOUSLY INJURED HIS KNEE AND WAS RUSHED TO THE LOCAL HOSPITAL. After the last jumper was injured, he postponed the 3A boys’ Triple Jump event and they replaced the jump boards with wooden jump boards. That head official wasn’t even MAN ENOUGH to say, “Guys, I made a bad call and I do apologize”. (((((IF HE THOUGHT THE TRIPLE JUMP AREA WAS SAFE WHY DID HE POSTPONED THE EVENT AND REPLACED THE JUMP BOARDS? THINK ABOUT IT.))))) Also, so many JUMPERS SLIPPED on their approach DURING THE HIGH JUMP EVENT BECAUSE OF THE CONCERT PATCHES AND LOOSE PEBBLES in front of THE HIGH JUMP MATj AND ONE JUMPER HAD A SERIOUS ANKLE SPRAIN. Some people want us to keep our mouths closed but I’m not if it involves the safety of these kids.
During most of the 1A-3A Triple Jump events, there was a light rain shower in Selma on Friday, a head track official told several 3A coaches and their triple jumpers that due to the "slippery jump boards", they will place some tape on the runway and the jumpers will use that tape as a jump board. Several coaches DIRECTLY told that head official that there are FOUR SLIPPERY JUMP BOARDS in front of the jumpers and there is a HIGH POSSIBILITY that THE JUMPERS MIGHT SLIP ON THOSE BOARDS DURING ONE OF THEIR THREE JUMP PHASES. That head official ignored those jumpers and coaches' comments and proceeded with the triple jump competition. I noticed several jumpers that almost slipped on one of those jump boards during warm-ups and ONE JUMPER SERIOUSLY INJURED HIS KNEE AND WAS RUSHED TO THE LOCAL HOSPITAL. After the last jumper was injured, he postponed the 3A boys' Triple Jump event and they replaced the jump boards with wooden jump boards. That head official wasn't even MAN ENOUGH to say, "Guys, I made a bad call and I do apologize".

(((((IF HE THOUGHT THE TRIPLE JUMP AREA WAS SAFE WHY DID HE POSTPONED THE EVENT AND REPLACED THE JUMP BOARDS? THINK ABOUT IT.)))))

Also, so many JUMPERS SLIPPED on their approach DURING THE HIGH JUMP EVENT BECAUSE OF THE CONCERT PATCHES AND LOOSE PEBBLES in front of THE HIGH JUMP MATj AND ONE JUMPER HAD A SERIOUS ANKLE SPRAIN. Some people want us to keep our mouths closed but I'm not if it involves the safety of these kids.
05/07/2013 6:34:11 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Come on guys. We get it. Selma has room for improvement. My understanding is it was an improvement from last year. That's all anyone can ask for. Lets not use the forum for attacks on any particular person.
Come on guys. We get it. Selma has room for improvement. My understanding is it was an improvement from last year. That's all anyone can ask for. Lets not use the forum for attacks on any particular person.
05/07/2013 10:29:39 PM
Coach
Being in Gulf Shores is a BIG difference from being in Selma. If you were not there in Selma, it would be difficult for you to understand. I'm just saying!!!! No names were used in this post. Athletes’ Safety should be the MAIN priority. How would you feel if your son or daughter was seriously injured due to the negligence of someone who is certified to use good judgment? NEGLIGENCE: Failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another. Secondly, this meet was not an ice breaker or all-comers regular season meet, instead, this was a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP track meet. At least Blackwell Stadium in Gulf Shores has a NEW RESURFACED TRACK. Can the smaller schools get some love?….Think about it?
Being in Gulf Shores is a BIG difference from being in Selma. If you were not there in Selma, it would be difficult for you to understand. I'm just saying!!!! No names were used in this post. Athletes' Safety should be the MAIN priority. How would you feel if your son or daughter was seriously injured due to the negligence of someone who is certified to use good judgment?

NEGLIGENCE: Failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another.

Secondly, this meet was not an ice breaker or all-comers regular season meet, instead, this was a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP track meet. At least Blackwell Stadium in Gulf Shores has a NEW RESURFACED TRACK. Can the smaller schools get some love?….Think about it?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.