AHSAA State Track and Field 1A-3A 2012
05/06/2012 11:32:38 AM
User
I cannot find the results for girls 3a pole vault or girls 3a discus, so therefore the results are not complette as you say. Also I would like to say that I was not pleased with the facility or the way things was ran. Lots of issues, such as bathrooms not stocked, track had bad spots. no areas to walk around the track comfortably. Very dangerous for the runners with the discus and shot put set where they were. I'm sure I have missed some of the problems. I would not like to go back there at all for a track meet.
I cannot find the results for girls 3a pole vault or girls 3a discus, so therefore the results are not complette as you say.
Also I would like to say that I was not pleased with the facility or the way things was ran. Lots of issues, such as bathrooms not stocked, track had bad spots. no areas to walk around the track comfortably. Very dangerous for the runners with the discus and shot put set where they were. I'm sure I have missed some of the problems. I would not like to go back there at all for a track meet.
05/06/2012 3:43:20 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
For whatever reason the results sent in last night omitted a few events. I am working to fix that. However, all events are easily available using the live results link for the meet.
For whatever reason the results sent in last night omitted a few events. I am working to fix that. However, all events are easily available using the live results link for the meet.
05/06/2012 4:41:44 PM
User
I too hope we never have to go to Selma ever again. The facilities were really bad and I'm being nice by just using the word "bad". No plumbing, no TP or towels in the bathroom. Which really didn't matter since they only worked half the time. I heard this facility was just redone. Really? when? 1977 because that's when two of the coaches attending ran there and it still looked the same. Politics was clearly behind this. Send 4A thru 6A down there and see how they like it. No hotels, no where to eat. Even the locals were not friendly cause they hate being there too. The kids go to the state meet as a reward, and in the words of one of the kids, it felt more like punishment. It appears the powers that be who made this sad decision needs to stand at the finish line (preferably not in lanes 4 or 5 due to the hump)and let one of the disc from the discus pit knock some sense into them. This was the poorest facility I have ever seen for a state meet and i've been to more than I can count. What a shame politics came first and not the kids. Please no more Selma, we need to send emails letters whatever it takes for this not to happen again. 3 years, have mercy.
I too hope we never have to go to Selma ever again. The facilities were really bad and I'm being nice by just using the word "bad". No plumbing, no TP or towels in the bathroom. Which really didn't matter since they only worked half the time. I heard this facility was just redone. Really? when? 1977 because that's when two of the coaches attending ran there and it still looked the same. Politics was clearly behind this. Send 4A thru 6A down there and see how they like it. No hotels, no where to eat. Even the locals were not friendly cause they hate being there too. The kids go to the state meet as a reward, and in the words of one of the kids, it felt more like punishment. It appears the powers that be who made this sad decision needs to stand at the finish line (preferably not in lanes 4 or 5 due to the hump)and let one of the disc from the discus pit knock some sense into them. This was the poorest facility I have ever seen for a state meet and i've been to more than I can count. What a shame politics came first and not the kids. Please no more Selma, we need to send emails letters whatever it takes for this not to happen again. 3 years, have mercy.
05/06/2012 5:02:26 PM
User
I also agreee. The state meet at Selma was awful from the get-go. The facilities were a disappointment to say the least. The state meet should be a reward for the athletes....facilities should be not only up to standard but also top of the line. As one coach said, "This facility might work for a jr high after school meet." The take-off boards did not meet rules b/c they were not level with runway, the pole vault runway was not level, lanes 5 & 6 were uneven, the discus ring was busted and unlevel....the list goes on & on. I felt sorry for the officials who stood at exchange zones, high jump, pole vault, & jump pits with very few breaks for 2 days. I saw coaches having to help with events b/c the "workers" they had lined up disappeared. This meet was ridiculous and embarassing to those of us who love track. It should be all about the athletes and showcase them and it simply wasn't.
I also agreee. The state meet at Selma was awful from the get-go. The facilities were a disappointment to say the least. The state meet should be a reward for the athletes....facilities should be not only up to standard but also top of the line. As one coach said, "This facility might work for a jr high after school meet." The take-off boards did not meet rules b/c they were not level with runway, the pole vault runway was not level, lanes 5 & 6 were uneven, the discus ring was busted and unlevel....the list goes on & on. I felt sorry for the officials who stood at exchange zones, high jump, pole vault, & jump pits with very few breaks for 2 days. I saw coaches having to help with events b/c the "workers" they had lined up disappeared. This meet was ridiculous and embarassing to those of us who love track. It should be all about the athletes and showcase them and it simply wasn't.
05/06/2012 7:22:28 PM
Coach
Let's hope AHSAA wakes up and realizes the facilities (lack of?) left a bad taste for everyone. With all the commercial announcements about their many corporate sponsors, I would have thought AHSAA would have done a much better job than they did. Both they and Selma dropped the ball on this one. Let's see...no water at the finish line, no cones on the curves, dangerous throwing facilities (the discus circle...come on), some officials would enforce standards while others did not, blatantly missed DQ calls on relays, etc. And not once was I ever asked to show a coaches card...what's the point of having one? If ever there were a reason to void a three year contract, this meet was it. I totally agree with a previous poster...if a State Meet has to go back there next year, swap 'em...let the big schools know what it feels like to be treated like the red headed step child. That having been said, I hope all of us who attended send a formal letter to both the AHSAA and the City of Selma, instead of just venting here. I certainly plan to do so. And I don't think we can simply accept the inevitable AHSAA pronouncement that "things will be fixed". That's what they said or were told when they signed the contract, right?
Let's hope AHSAA wakes up and realizes the facilities (lack of?) left a bad taste for everyone. With all the commercial announcements about their many corporate sponsors, I would have thought AHSAA would have done a much better job than they did. Both they and Selma dropped the ball on this one. Let's see...no water at the finish line, no cones on the curves, dangerous throwing facilities (the discus circle...come on), some officials would enforce standards while others did not, blatantly missed DQ calls on relays, etc. And not once was I ever asked to show a coaches card...what's the point of having one? If ever there were a reason to void a three year contract, this meet was it. I totally agree with a previous poster...if a State Meet has to go back there next year, swap 'em...let the big schools know what it feels like to be treated like the red headed step child.

That having been said, I hope all of us who attended send a formal letter to both the AHSAA and the City of Selma, instead of just venting here. I certainly plan to do so. And I don't think we can simply accept the inevitable AHSAA pronouncement that "things will be fixed". That's what they said or were told when they signed the contract, right?
05/06/2012 7:47:54 PM
Coach
I believe that if it is good enoough for football why should it not be good enough for Track and Field. Let's use Auburn and Tuscaloosa as hosting sites and rotate 1-3A at one site for 2 years 4-6A at the other than rotate. Sometimes the easy fixes are not easy when "Politics" are involved. The AHSAA needs to remember it is and should be about the student athlete's. How is Gulf Shores and Selma a central location for all schools who compete in the State Championship?
I believe that if it is good enoough for football why should it not be good enough for Track and Field. Let's use Auburn and Tuscaloosa as hosting sites and rotate 1-3A at one site for 2 years 4-6A at the other than rotate. Sometimes the easy fixes are not easy when "Politics" are involved. The AHSAA needs to remember it is and should be about the student athlete's. How is Gulf Shores and Selma a central location for all schools who compete in the State Championship?
05/06/2012 8:16:28 PM
User
Its my understanding bids are put in to host the state meet. If Cullman and Selma are the the two then thats what you choose between. No it wasnt the best place, and it didnt feel like a state meet at all. Maybe the AHSAA is at fault. To me it seems to be a money making machine, only about profit not kids. Should places pay to host the meet? It was my understanding they would not cover the cost of hotels for officials. Yes the officiating was lacking in some areas. It would also have been nice to realize what hotels were in the area had already been booked for another event. With all the problems I can only hope the coaches did not complain in front of the kids. There were many great things that happened in Selma, many great performances and many great moments for the young athletes.
Its my understanding bids are put in to host the state meet. If Cullman and Selma are the the two then thats what you choose between. No it wasnt the best place, and it didnt feel like a state meet at all. Maybe the AHSAA is at fault. To me it seems to be a money making machine, only about profit not kids. Should places pay to host the meet? It was my understanding they would not cover the cost of hotels for officials. Yes the officiating was lacking in some areas. It would also have been nice to realize what hotels were in the area had already been booked for another event.

With all the problems I can only hope the coaches did not complain in front of the kids. There were many great things that happened in Selma, many great performances and many great moments for the young athletes.
05/06/2012 8:30:12 PM
Coach
got2run, these kids aren't stupid. They could see what was going on just as easily as we could. I do agree that we should not complain in front of them; however, I know you weren't insinuating we just tell them to shut up and color when they point out problems to us. Hopefully those folks on the Track Committee saw what 99% of us did and will bring this up at the meeting in Montgomery on Wednesday. There's no other way to say this...that meet was an embarassment, plain and simple. Kudos to the kids who did well in spite of it, and a big I'm sorry as a coach to those whose performances suffered because of the poor facility.
got2run, these kids aren't stupid. They could see what was going on just as easily as we could. I do agree that we should not complain in front of them; however, I know you weren't insinuating we just tell them to shut up and color when they point out problems to us. Hopefully those folks on the Track Committee saw what 99% of us did and will bring this up at the meeting in Montgomery on Wednesday. There's no other way to say this...that meet was an embarassment, plain and simple. Kudos to the kids who did well in spite of it, and a big I'm sorry as a coach to those whose performances suffered because of the poor facility.
05/06/2012 9:02:25 PM
User
The live results info has not been posted for about 5 of the field events. I'm still waiting for 3A girls discus.
The live results info has not been posted for about 5 of the field events. I'm still waiting for 3A girls discus.
05/06/2012 10:39:25 PM
User
First things first. The athletes at Selma were outstanding. I love to see the effort these great young people bring to this meet. I almost always tear up at some point over some senior running their last race, and this year was no exception. You kids are outstanding. Thanks for the great weekend. Next, the cudos to the coaches. I saw coaches going above and beyond all weekend long. After taking care of their athletes, many decided to help with the problems at the meet. From the Westminster coach I saw helping in the jumps, to the Bayside coach taking water to officials (where were the helpers?) and the Randolph coaches who helped at the finish line with cups of water and cold towels....Great job guys! (I'm sure I missed some, but thanks to those coaches, too.) Next, thanks to the officials. I know some on here may say they were less that perfect (and they were) and some may take issue over what the officials did (or didn't) do. BUT...they worked hard under less that perfect conditions and they tried their best. Day one saw no water delivered to officials in any event area. Nothing like working for hours in the hot sun with no water. And there were not enough officials to go around (didn't seem to be a problem at BSC, now did it?) so some did 2-3 jobs. And with the inadequate facilities you were given, trying your best to make lemonade from the lemons at Selma was nice. Thanks for your efforts. Next, to the Selma employees and volunteers who worked to make this meet a success. Thank you. Your hospitality area was first rate and those who worked in the track area did a great job. Too bad so many of your fellow helpers decided to take the day off or stay in the shade, while the rest of you worked so hard. There were simply not enough (Selma) people who wanted to make this meet a sucess, and boy did it show. I'm sure Selma tried their best to make this meet a success. The effort was there by some, but effort can not change inadequate facilities. This might be an adequate football stadium, but as a track facility, it's a 2 out of 10, at best. The track was OK (except for the hump in lanes 5/6) the throws and jump areas were not OK. The hurdles were fine, the blocks were(old) but OK. The problems with the facilities for fans are well noted above. Overall Selma was maybe...OK. BUT OK is not good enough for a AHSAA State Championship. These are your best athletes competing for the state high school's biggest prize. It should be contested at the state's best facilities. Look at where the AHSAA championships are played in football, basketball, baseball, etc. Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, and Montgomery all are less than perfect. But, they have things that Selma does not, like a more centralized location, hotels, restaurants, and more importantly...adequate facilties and volunteers. Selma has a lot of wonderful people and redeeming qualities, but they can not host a AHSAA championship. Move it. I know money is important, but your athletes (and parents)are more important than money. In fact, they are the only reason you exist, so do right by them now and move it.
First things first. The athletes at Selma were outstanding. I love to see the effort these great young people bring to this meet. I almost always tear up at some point over some senior running their last race, and this year was no exception. You kids are outstanding. Thanks for the great weekend.

Next, the cudos to the coaches. I saw coaches going above and beyond all weekend long. After taking care of their athletes, many decided to help with the problems at the meet. From the Westminster coach I saw helping in the jumps, to the Bayside coach taking water to officials (where were the helpers?) and the Randolph coaches who helped at the finish line with cups of water and cold towels....Great job guys! (I'm sure I missed some, but thanks to those coaches, too.)

Next, thanks to the officials. I know some on here may say they were less that perfect (and they were) and some may take issue over what the officials did (or didn't) do. BUT...they worked hard under less that perfect conditions and they tried their best. Day one saw no water delivered to officials in any event area. Nothing like working for hours in the hot sun with no water. And there were not enough officials to go around (didn't seem to be a problem at BSC, now did it?) so some did 2-3 jobs. And with the inadequate facilities you were given, trying your best to make lemonade from the lemons at Selma was nice. Thanks for your efforts.

Next, to the Selma employees and volunteers who worked to make this meet a success. Thank you. Your hospitality area was first rate and those who worked in the track area did a great job. Too bad so many of your fellow helpers decided to take the day off or stay in the shade, while the rest of you worked so hard. There were simply not enough (Selma) people who wanted to make this meet a sucess, and boy did it show.

I'm sure Selma tried their best to make this meet a success. The effort was there by some, but effort can not change inadequate facilities. This might be an adequate football stadium, but as a track facility, it's a 2 out of 10, at best. The track was OK (except for the hump in lanes 5/6) the throws and jump areas were not OK. The hurdles were fine, the blocks were(old) but OK. The problems with the facilities for fans are well noted above. Overall Selma was maybe...OK.

BUT OK is not good enough for a AHSAA State Championship. These are your best athletes competing for the state high school's biggest prize. It should be contested at the state's best facilities. Look at where the AHSAA championships are played in football, basketball, baseball, etc. Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, and Montgomery all are less than perfect. But, they have things that Selma does not, like a more centralized location, hotels, restaurants, and more importantly...adequate facilties and volunteers.

Selma has a lot of wonderful people and redeeming qualities, but they can not host a AHSAA championship. Move it. I know money is important, but your athletes (and parents)are more important than money. In fact, they are the only reason you exist, so do right by them now and move it.
05/07/2012 6:48:52 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
The biggest drawbacks related to the championship meets run by the AHSAA the last two weeks from my perspective are the following: 1) T-shirt sales. A bone of contention in the past that is still not resolved. The AHSAA has a contract with a single vendor. That vendor chose not to have shirts available for every Section, so you can only get shirts for two Sections with front and back listings. How can you allow a sponsor to not represent every Section equally? Moreover, they are not selling at every venue. Sure you can buy online, but again, not every Section is available online. This means revenue is being taken away from some hosts and not all athletes get the same opportunity. 2) Selma as a venue. No track is perfect, but Selma has a few issues. First, no raised border for the track and no cones to help delineate the inside lane. Numerous athletes were running inside the lines throughout the meet and even after warned by officials, still got away with clear rule violations by cheating and shortening the course. No one wants to see an athlete disqualified, but obtaining an unfair advantage cannot be rewarded, especially after an athlete is warned. The Long Jump area needs improvement before next year as others have already stated. 3) Discus cage and location. The cage was new and a big improvement over what was in place even a few weeks ago, but it is really not a safe set-up. This was compounded by the fact that the officials and their assistants that were returning implements, in a clear violation of the rule book and common sense, were rolling the discus to return it to competitors. This resulted in implements hitting officials and others near the finish line and even rolling across the track while events were going on. Not acceptable at any competition, but especially not at this level. You need at least four folks, officials and helpers, to run the event correctly and everybody needs to understand their role. The implement must be carried out of the sector and either handed to someone or placed on the ground for retrieval. 4) Parking and entry fees. If a parent wants to see their athlete compete on both days, it costs a minimum of $26. Two days of entry are $20 and $3 a day to park. If both parents come in the same car, it is $46. Pretty steep, especially since there are prelims on one day and finals on the other in a few events. Why is there no multiday discount? How about $10 for one day and $15 for two, if purchased on Friday? Why was parking set up so we could not leave and come back? I was given a ticket both days, so how come I could not show the ticket as proof of payment or have it stamped for reentry? The city of Selma lost revenue because I could not go get lunch and return. For coaches, it was ridiculous that we could not get a real lunch at the hospitality room. I need to be at the venue all day and I can’t even get a complimentary hot dog and coke for lunch? Also, no coffee in the morning at least? 5) I heard numerous horror stories about hotels in Selma overbooking. Not sure what was really true, but the Water Tower above the stadium said Selma was the home of “History and Hospitality.” Not sure many felt that they got a lot of hospitality. This is not to say that the folks working the venue were not trying to be hospitable, but there were more than few obvious disconnects. On the positive side, there were more than enough trash cans at the venue, they were well located and visible, and were well tended. The restrooms had issues that others have pointed out. Still, the hosts were responsive on most issues, but they seemed a little overwhelmed at the start. I think the experience of this year can make them better next time. 6) Officiating. I realize we are all human and mistakes can happen, but the number of missed or delayed calls regarding relay zone infractions was unacceptable. Too many officials were spectating and not officiating. If a team passes the baton about 40 meters outside the zone, there is no way an official should have the white flag up. In the last two years, in the 4x100, I have seen teams stray out of their lanes and interfere with another team during baton exchanges with no infraction called. How does this happen in a lane event without a DQ? 7) It was kind of interesting to see how the Pepsi sign was covered up, yet Pepsi products were being sold in the snack area even if Coke is an official sponsor. 8) Clarity on the team tent area and parking procedures could have and should have been communicated in advance. First, no mention was given on setting up tents only in the top part of the stadium. Second, no mention about coolers and grills was provided. Third, there was no enforcement of tents only being in marked areas. A few teams encamped in areas that were not marked and blocked movement to venues. 9) It s now more than 24 hours after the meet conclusion and the 1A-3A final results are not available on Alabamarunners while the 4A-6A results are. Why the disparity? Live results are good, but not the same as the other product. None of these issues are showstoppers. The competition in Selma was great and with some attention to these few areas, it can be a lot better next year. We can and should be better at officiating and the hotel issue needs to be addressed.
The biggest drawbacks related to the championship meets run by the AHSAA the last two weeks from my perspective are the following:

1) T-shirt sales. A bone of contention in the past that is still not resolved. The AHSAA has a contract with a single vendor. That vendor chose not to have shirts available for every Section, so you can only get shirts for two Sections with front and back listings. How can you allow a sponsor to not represent every Section equally? Moreover, they are not selling at every venue. Sure you can buy online, but again, not every Section is available online. This means revenue is being taken away from some hosts and not all athletes get the same opportunity.

2) Selma as a venue. No track is perfect, but Selma has a few issues. First, no raised border for the track and no cones to help delineate the inside lane. Numerous athletes were running inside the lines throughout the meet and even after warned by officials, still got away with clear rule violations by cheating and shortening the course. No one wants to see an athlete disqualified, but obtaining an unfair advantage cannot be rewarded, especially after an athlete is warned. The Long Jump area needs improvement before next year as others have already stated.

3) Discus cage and location. The cage was new and a big improvement over what was in place even a few weeks ago, but it is really not a safe set-up. This was compounded by the fact that the officials and their assistants that were returning implements, in a clear violation of the rule book and common sense, were rolling the discus to return it to competitors. This resulted in implements hitting officials and others near the finish line and even rolling across the track while events were going on. Not acceptable at any competition, but especially not at this level. You need at least four folks, officials and helpers, to run the event correctly and everybody needs to understand their role. The implement must be carried out of the sector and either handed to someone or placed on the ground for retrieval.

4) Parking and entry fees. If a parent wants to see their athlete compete on both days, it costs a minimum of $26. Two days of entry are $20 and $3 a day to park. If both parents come in the same car, it is $46. Pretty steep, especially since there are prelims on one day and finals on the other in a few events. Why is there no multiday discount? How about $10 for one day and $15 for two, if purchased on Friday? Why was parking set up so we could not leave and come back? I was given a ticket both days, so how come I could not show the ticket as proof of payment or have it stamped for reentry? The city of Selma lost revenue because I could not go get lunch and return. For coaches, it was ridiculous that we could not get a real lunch at the hospitality room. I need to be at the venue all day and I can't even get a complimentary hot dog and coke for lunch? Also, no coffee in the morning at least?

5) I heard numerous horror stories about hotels in Selma overbooking. Not sure what was really true, but the Water Tower above the stadium said Selma was the home of "History and Hospitality." Not sure many felt that they got a lot of hospitality. This is not to say that the folks working the venue were not trying to be hospitable, but there were more than few obvious disconnects. On the positive side, there were more than enough trash cans at the venue, they were well located and visible, and were well tended. The restrooms had issues that others have pointed out. Still, the hosts were responsive on most issues, but they seemed a little overwhelmed at the start. I think the experience of this year can make them better next time.

6) Officiating. I realize we are all human and mistakes can happen, but the number of missed or delayed calls regarding relay zone infractions was unacceptable. Too many officials were spectating and not officiating. If a team passes the baton about 40 meters outside the zone, there is no way an official should have the white flag up. In the last two years, in the 4x100, I have seen teams stray out of their lanes and interfere with another team during baton exchanges with no infraction called. How does this happen in a lane event without a DQ?

7) It was kind of interesting to see how the Pepsi sign was covered up, yet Pepsi products were being sold in the snack area even if Coke is an official sponsor.

8) Clarity on the team tent area and parking procedures could have and should have been communicated in advance. First, no mention was given on setting up tents only in the top part of the stadium. Second, no mention about coolers and grills was provided. Third, there was no enforcement of tents only being in marked areas. A few teams encamped in areas that were not marked and blocked movement to venues.

9) It s now more than 24 hours after the meet conclusion and the 1A-3A final results are not available on Alabamarunners while the 4A-6A results are. Why the disparity? Live results are good, but not the same as the other product.

None of these issues are showstoppers. The competition in Selma was great and with some attention to these few areas, it can be a lot better next year. We can and should be better at officiating and the hotel issue needs to be addressed.
05/07/2012 6:53:10 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@BHSXCfamily Having Auburn and Alabama host would be great, but it could not be on the same weekend we are currently having the State Meets because both institutions are hosting graduations at this time.
@BHSXCfamily

Having Auburn and Alabama host would be great, but it could not be on the same weekend we are currently having the State Meets because both institutions are hosting graduations at this time.
05/07/2012 9:57:05 AM
User
4A-6A sadly always have better treatment in everything than does 1A-3A. That's just how it always is unfortunately. But the point of this post is that the Selma site was terrible. This place was a joke! Many negatives with very few positives. Would take me an hour to write how bad this place was. No one and I mean no one liked this place. This was really sad. How could this happen? Well no one wants to come back so please at all costs move the state meet to a better location next year! No improvements will fix this place either. No one was happy being there and it is a shame for the athletes as mentioned above!
4A-6A sadly always have better treatment in everything than does 1A-3A. That's just how it always is unfortunately. But the point of this post is that the Selma site was terrible. This place was a joke! Many negatives with very few positives. Would take me an hour to write how bad this place was. No one and I mean no one liked this place. This was really sad. How could this happen? Well no one wants to come back so please at all costs move the state meet to a better location next year! No improvements will fix this place either. No one was happy being there and it is a shame for the athletes as mentioned above!
05/07/2012 11:09:24 AM
User
We almost did not get a hotel in Selma. Yes, we could have stayed in Montgomery, but that is more gas and further to drive especially when your daughter competes at 8:30am. The hotel we stayed at was the pits! They called me twice saying that they were going to give my room to someone else if we didn't get there before midnight. There were people waiting in the parking lot waiting & hoping we didn't make it in time. I was also electricuted when I tried to plug in their lamp! The State Track Meet should not be held in a place that cannot support such an event! Just what was wrong with Birmingham-Southern...or rotating Gulf Shores with 1-3A? I have nothing against Selma. It just wasn't the city to host a large event with thousands to accomodate...comfortably.
We almost did not get a hotel in Selma. Yes, we could have stayed in Montgomery, but that is more gas and further to drive especially when your daughter competes at 8:30am.
The hotel we stayed at was the pits! They called me twice saying that they were going to give my room to someone else if we didn't get there before midnight. There were people waiting in the parking lot waiting & hoping we didn't make it in time. I was also electricuted when I tried to plug in their lamp!
The State Track Meet should not be held in a place that cannot support such an event! Just what was wrong with Birmingham-Southern...or rotating Gulf Shores with 1-3A?
I have nothing against Selma. It just wasn't the city to host a large event with thousands to accomodate...comfortably.
05/07/2012 11:25:10 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
If I understand things correctly, BSC had the same issue as Alabama and Auburn: graduation. Besides, if they don't bid they can't get the meet. Finding the right balance between an adequate facility with enough parking, a suitable number of hotels, and enough of a population to support having officials should not be that difficult. Then, of course, you need somebody in that place willing to do the hosting. I think Selma could do it next year, if they take some of this critique to heart and fix what needs to be fixed to be first rate. The hotel rooms have to be available, the parking has to allow folks to come and go, and the track needs a few upgrades in the right place.
If I understand things correctly, BSC had the same issue as Alabama and Auburn: graduation. Besides, if they don't bid they can't get the meet. Finding the right balance between an adequate facility with enough parking, a suitable number of hotels, and enough of a population to support having officials should not be that difficult. Then, of course, you need somebody in that place willing to do the hosting. I think Selma could do it next year, if they take some of this critique to heart and fix what needs to be fixed to be first rate. The hotel rooms have to be available, the parking has to allow folks to come and go, and the track needs a few upgrades in the right place.
05/07/2012 12:05:05 PM
Coach
Selma certainly has a number of things to work on if they host next year. The issue with the hotels was complicated by another event in Selma this weekend (a military event). From what I heard from 4A-6A coaches, the track in Gulf Shores is falling apart. It seems as though there are issues at both facilities. Colleges are hesitant to host the state meet because of impending graduations, conference meets, etc. As has been mentioned, there are few places that will bid for the state meet. Many people don't fully understand what it takes to host a meet that size... and hosts rarely, if ever, make any money from hosting. There have been numerous hosts who have lost a considerable amount of money from hosting. The interesting thing for me is that we (the track community) rarely seem satisfied with a host.
Selma certainly has a number of things to work on if they host next year.
The issue with the hotels was complicated by another event in Selma this weekend
(a military event). From what I heard from 4A-6A coaches, the track in Gulf Shores is falling apart. It seems as though there are issues at both facilities.

Colleges are hesitant to host the state meet because of impending graduations, conference meets, etc. As has been mentioned, there are few places that will bid for the state meet. Many people don't fully understand what it takes to host a meet that size... and hosts rarely, if ever, make any money from hosting. There have been numerous hosts who have lost a considerable amount of money from hosting.

The interesting thing for me is that we (the track community) rarely seem satisfied with a host.
05/07/2012 12:23:42 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The state meet is a albatross. The logistics to host one are insane...not to mention the sanctions that the venue has to jump through. I dont remember what percentage the venue gets to keep of ticket sales, parking, etc., but as I remember (from discussion with past hosts) it isnt much. So let's see.... Not much money coming in to the venue, yet alot of money going out -- a hospitality room alone is extremely costly. Couple that with a limitation on who can sponsor due to AHSAA corporate sponsors. I am wondering what this new school calendar will do to competition dates next year. If it offsets state, college might be more likely to bid to host.
The state meet is a albatross. The logistics to host one are insane...not to mention the sanctions that the venue has to jump through. I dont remember what percentage the venue gets to keep of ticket sales, parking, etc., but as I remember (from discussion with past hosts) it isnt much.

So let's see....
Not much money coming in to the venue, yet alot of money going out -- a hospitality room alone is extremely costly. Couple that with a limitation on who can sponsor due to AHSAA corporate sponsors.

I am wondering what this new school calendar will do to competition dates next year. If it offsets state, college might be more likely to bid to host.
05/07/2012 12:53:08 PM
User
Disastrous!!!!! That's the only way I can put it. What a dump. Even the bleachers were filthy. How about spening 2 hours on a blower to clean the bleachers. Areas for tents didn't even have grass....just rocks and sand. Too much to list on here, but I was furious that this is the best we can do. How about Hoover or Spain Park? Anyone ever been there for a meet. The best facilities around with huge stadiums, parking, etc.... Or let's just all (1A-6A) go to gulf shores like we did when all the smart folks decided we should postpone the state track meet because of 2 kids in Huntsville with Swine flu. Not to mention the Bham area and Gulf Shores area has tons of hotels and restaurants. As far as the politics involved....I find it interesting that the Mayor of Selma is the brother of Joe Evans who recently retired as the long time associate executive director of the AHSAA.....makes you think doesn't it.
Disastrous!!!!! That's the only way I can put it. What a dump. Even the bleachers were filthy. How about spening 2 hours on a blower to clean the bleachers. Areas for tents didn't even have grass....just rocks and sand. Too much to list on here, but I was furious that this is the best we can do. How about Hoover or Spain Park? Anyone ever been there for a meet. The best facilities around with huge stadiums, parking, etc.... Or let's just all (1A-6A) go to gulf shores like we did when all the smart folks decided we should postpone the state track meet because of 2 kids in Huntsville with Swine flu. Not to mention the Bham area and Gulf Shores area has tons of hotels and restaurants. As far as the politics involved....I find it interesting that the Mayor of Selma is the brother of Joe Evans who recently retired as the long time associate executive director of the AHSAA.....makes you think doesn't it.
05/07/2012 1:01:49 PM
User
Now if the city of Birmingham would just build a new outdoor complex that would be as nice as the Crossplex . . .
Now if the city of Birmingham would just build a new outdoor complex that would be as nice as the Crossplex . . .
05/07/2012 1:16:11 PM
User
As as far as no one being satisfied, did we really complain that much about BSC? I don't remember reading that many complaints on here, but I'm getting old, so maybe my memory doesn't work so well. I do know that I was wishing I had waited to put my AHSAA shirt on until I got inside the facility on Saturday morning, as two different families lodged their complaints with me. I never remember that happening before. And I would agree that hosting the state meet is a pain. What I have been told is the venue keeps only the parking and concessions revenues, with all the gate, dry goods $$$, and sponsor$$$ money going to the AHSAA. If that's right, then it's easy to see how the host can not make money. The biggest concern for the AHSAA should be the athletes. The athletes should have the best facilities for their championship events. If that means the AHSAA has to take a little less $$$ from this event, then so be it. They have several lucrative championships to offset a "break even" event in track. The biggest concern for the schools has to be the costs. And since it's my understanding that most of the 1A-3A schools are located in the northern half of the state, seems like you could save most schools money by finding a location well north of Selma. Of course that means the schools near Selma will now have to take on travel expenses, so this is a win lose. (Maybe the AHSAA can help a little with travel.) My biggest concern with Selma is the facility, the lack of hotels, and the lack of help. The track will probably not change and I doubt there will be a rush to build new hotels for this one event. While I'm sure the good folks at Selma will work hard to correct the things that slipped through the cracks, that won't solve the major problems with this meet. MHO
As as far as no one being satisfied, did we really complain that much about BSC? I don't remember reading that many complaints on here, but I'm getting old, so maybe my memory doesn't work so well. I do know that I was wishing I had waited to put my AHSAA shirt on until I got inside the facility on Saturday morning, as two different families lodged their complaints with me. I never remember that happening before.

And I would agree that hosting the state meet is a pain. What I have been told is the venue keeps only the parking and concessions revenues, with all the gate, dry goods $$$, and sponsor$$$ money going to the AHSAA. If that's right, then it's easy to see how the host can not make money.

The biggest concern for the AHSAA should be the athletes. The athletes should have the best facilities for their championship events. If that means the AHSAA has to take a little less $$$ from this event, then so be it. They have several lucrative championships to offset a "break even" event in track.

The biggest concern for the schools has to be the costs. And since it's my understanding that most of the 1A-3A schools are located in the northern half of the state, seems like you could save most schools money by finding a location well north of Selma. Of course that means the schools near Selma will now have to take on travel expenses, so this is a win lose. (Maybe the AHSAA can help a little with travel.)

My biggest concern with Selma is the facility, the lack of hotels, and the lack of help. The track will probably not change and I doubt there will be a rush to build new hotels for this one event. While I'm sure the good folks at Selma will work hard to correct the things that slipped through the cracks, that won't solve the major problems with this meet. MHO

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.