Parking and Exit from Park
10/04/2019 11:14:09 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Is the bridge still closed? Should we expect getting out of the park will take over an hour like Chickasaw? Thanks.
Is the bridge still closed? Should we expect getting out of the park will take over an hour like Chickasaw? Thanks.
10/07/2019 11:21:29 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We're serious thinking about not attending either meet next year. Seems like JO and Chickasaw have become just money grabs! Too many teams, starting line not big enough, takes forever to enter and exit, actual course should have been watered to prevent excessive dust from the lead 4 wheeler,JO meet was nightmare with not enough emergency personal, museum as the only air conditioned place wouldn't let heat stroked athletes in to recover,......I could go on but there are other option and I hope that in the future the STATE meet is not there either.
We're serious thinking about not attending either meet next year. Seems like JO and Chickasaw have become just money grabs! Too many teams, starting line not big enough, takes forever to enter and exit, actual course should have been watered to prevent excessive dust from the lead 4 wheeler,JO meet was nightmare with not enough emergency personal, museum as the only air conditioned place wouldn't let heat stroked athletes in to recover,......I could go on but there are other option and I hope that in the future the STATE meet is not there either.
10/07/2019 1:03:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=sjzibas]We're serious thinking about not attending either meet next year. Seems like JO and Chickasaw have become just money grabs! Too many teams, starting line not big enough, takes forever to enter and exit, actual course should have been watered to prevent excessive dust from the lead 4 wheeler,JO meet was nightmare with not enough emergency personal, museum as the only air conditioned place wouldn't let heat stroked athletes in to recover,......I could go on but there are other option and I hope that in the future the STATE meet is not there either. [/quote] I think this is a bit of an exaggeration on certain issues but I agree some things need to change. The heat stroke issue is a real concern. I think another issue that needs to be addressed is the restroom issue. With the amount of people at the meet the number of restrooms plus portolets is just not enough to handle the number of people. I had runners going to use the restroom a full 40 minutes before their race times and barely got back to do a 10 minute warm up. There needs to be either more portolets or runners only portolets. This meet is about the runners, not the spectators, and that is being forgotten in the restroom issue. That being said, the parking and exit issue was drastically improved for this meet and I applaud Coach Johnson and the organizers for this. At the same time, I had runners who sat in a line to get into the meet for over 30 minutes which really messed up our normal preparation. I think the Oakville Course is an amazing course; however, I do think the lack of hotels in the area and the overall infrastructure issues are starting to really put a damper on the meets.
sjzibas wrote:

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration on certain issues but I agree some things need to change. The heat stroke issue is a real concern. I think another issue that needs to be addressed is the restroom issue. With the amount of people at the meet the number of restrooms plus portolets is just not enough to handle the number of people. I had runners going to use the restroom a full 40 minutes before their race times and barely got back to do a 10 minute warm up. There needs to be either more portolets or runners only portolets. This meet is about the runners, not the spectators, and that is being forgotten in the restroom issue.

That being said, the parking and exit issue was drastically improved for this meet and I applaud Coach Johnson and the organizers for this. At the same time, I had runners who sat in a line to get into the meet for over 30 minutes which really messed up our normal preparation.

I think the Oakville Course is an amazing course; however, I do think the lack of hotels in the area and the overall infrastructure issues are starting to really put a damper on the meets.
10/08/2019 7:39:43 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
For some reason, the second post on this thread was bothersome. It certainly sounds like you are frustrated by your experience at Moulton this season. Maybe the frustration goes back several seasons. I am confused Coach @sjzibas about several of your points. Your reference the meet as being a "money grab"? Could you expand on that please? No doubt the traffic situation has been a tough thing for everyone to contend with this year. From what I am told, they expect the bridge repair to be completed before State. :) My teams have been traveling to Moulton for 18+ years and have found Coach Stan Johnson and his team put on the best meets. Have there been some hiccups, sure. I bet Coach Johnson can list every single one of them. Generally, you can say these meets have been consistenly the best the state has to offer year in and year out. I certainly can't imagine hosting 5 meets in a single year as he and the Runners Club has. You suggest State should be moved away from Moulton. Where do you think it should be moved to?
For some reason, the second post on this thread was bothersome. It certainly sounds like you are frustrated by your experience at Moulton this season. Maybe the frustration goes back several seasons.

I am confused Coach @sjzibas about several of your points. Your reference the meet as being a "money grab"? Could you expand on that please?

No doubt the traffic situation has been a tough thing for everyone to contend with this year. From what I am told, they expect the bridge repair to be completed before State. :)

My teams have been traveling to Moulton for 18+ years and have found Coach Stan Johnson and his team put on the best meets. Have there been some hiccups, sure. I bet Coach Johnson can list every single one of them. Generally, you can say these meets have been consistenly the best the state has to offer year in and year out. I certainly can't imagine hosting 5 meets in a single year as he and the Runners Club has.

You suggest State should be moved away from Moulton. Where do you think it should be moved to?
10/09/2019 2:29:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
We did not attend the Jesse Owens Classic this year for the first time in a long time. There were other reasons, but the traffic situation and course conditions made it an easier decision to stay home. I don't think they should move the state meet though. We expect to compete at Jesse Owens again next year.
We did not attend the Jesse Owens Classic this year for the first time in a long time. There were other reasons, but the traffic situation and course conditions made it an easier decision to stay home.

I don't think they should move the state meet though.

We expect to compete at Jesse Owens again next year.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.