High School Uniform at Club Meet
01/13/2019 7:50:14 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
My son, running unattached in December at a Club indoor track meet, was told by an official that he could not wear his high school uniform, and if he did he could be disqualified for the high school season. I find this rule nowhere in the AHSAA rules documentation. Is this a rule, and if so where is it written?
My son, running unattached in December at a Club indoor track meet, was told by an official that he could not wear his high school uniform, and if he did he could be disqualified for the high school season. I find this rule nowhere in the AHSAA rules documentation. Is this a rule, and if so where is it written?
01/13/2019 8:02:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I've had the same happen to one of my athlete. I'm not sure where this is stated as well. Sounds to me like nitpicking, so I have my athletes, that do not have any personal running gear, to turn their school gear inside out.
I've had the same happen to one of my athlete. I'm not sure where this is stated as well. Sounds to me like nitpicking, so I have my athletes, that do not have any personal running gear, to turn their school gear inside out.
01/13/2019 10:12:07 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Athletes are only supposed to represent their schools in AHSAA sanctioned events. Someone wearing a school uniform could be interpreted as representing their school. Not sure if this is written specifically about the wearing of the uniform but a lot of the rules are up for interpretation by AHSAA officials. Not worth taking a risk.
Athletes are only supposed to represent their schools in AHSAA sanctioned events. Someone wearing a school uniform could be interpreted as representing their school. Not sure if this is written specifically about the wearing of the uniform but a lot of the rules are up for interpretation by AHSAA officials. Not worth taking a risk.
01/14/2019 9:29:56 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Based on AHSAA rules, an athlete may compete at two non-sanctioned ASHAA events with permission from their high school administration per page 27 of the 2018/2019 By Laws. It could be that it is interpreted that since this is a non-sanctioned event that the athlete should not be representing the school. The athlete usually will be listed as un-attached if running a USATF meet unless they are a member of a USATF team. All in all it is better safe to not wear school attire when running in a non-sanctioned event. Who knows how AHSAA would interpret the rule.
Based on AHSAA rules, an athlete may compete at two non-sanctioned ASHAA events with permission from their high school administration per page 27 of the 2018/2019 By Laws. It could be that it is interpreted that since this is a non-sanctioned event that the athlete should not be representing the school. The athlete usually will be listed as un-attached if running a USATF meet unless they are a member of a USATF team. All in all it is better safe to not wear school attire when running in a non-sanctioned event. Who knows how AHSAA would interpret the rule.
01/14/2019 10:24:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This needs to be clarified or athletes should not be threaten with a disqualification. If the interpretation is to not represent the school, then why have the marks listed in the athlete's stats for the school? We all know that an unattached athlete running at a club meet isn't "representing"/or running under their high school; the same way if that athlete was wearing USA gear isn't representing Team USA. Lol. Don't get me wrong, I agree it's "better to be safe than sorry", but if this is not explicitly stated, this is not fair.
This needs to be clarified or athletes should not be threaten with a disqualification.

If the interpretation is to not represent the school, then why have the marks listed in the athlete's stats for the school? We all know that an unattached athlete running at a club meet isn't "representing"/or running under their high school; the same way if that athlete was wearing USA gear isn't representing Team USA. Lol.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's "better to be safe than sorry", but if this is not explicitly stated, this is not fair.
01/14/2019 9:16:17 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Coach I agree with you. This needs to be clarified. With the uncertainty of the interpretation of the rules at AHSAA, I would error on the side of caution. You don't want an athlete in his/her senior year to be found in violation and not able to compete. I have "heard", but not actually confirmed, that the rule is AHSAA has ruled that you cannot wear a school uniform in an unsanctioned event. I looked at the 2018/19 by laws and have not seen any rule to this effect. I did not read it very closely other than page 27. I hope a coach somewhere can get clarification listed in the by laws for next year. This will put the issue to rest.
Coach I agree with you. This needs to be clarified. With the uncertainty of the interpretation of the rules at AHSAA, I would error on the side of caution. You don't want an athlete in his/her senior year to be found in violation and not able to compete. I have "heard", but not actually confirmed, that the rule is AHSAA has ruled that you cannot wear a school uniform in an unsanctioned event. I looked at the 2018/19 by laws and have not seen any rule to this effect. I did not read it very closely other than page 27. I hope a coach somewhere can get clarification listed in the by laws for next year. This will put the issue to rest.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.