MLK estimated racing schedule
01/13/2018 1:31:10 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
8:00 4 x 800 9:15 60 hurdles 9:45 60 dash 10:55 MLK tribute and unity walk 11:15 400 12:45 1600 2:30 4 x 200 4:15 800 5:45 3200 7:45 4 x 400 8:30 FINISH
8:00 4 x 800
9:15 60 hurdles
9:45 60 dash
10:55 MLK tribute and unity walk
11:15 400
12:45 1600
2:30 4 x 200
4:15 800
5:45 3200
7:45 4 x 400
8:30 FINISH
01/13/2018 10:33:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks. It might be time to limit 2 entries per individual event and 1 relay per team.
Thanks. It might be time to limit 2 entries per individual event and 1 relay per team.
01/13/2018 10:38:41 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
what do others think about this idea of 2 per event? It would definitely shorten the meet but take away opportunity for a lot of athletes. I would be interested to hear opinions.
what do others think about this idea of 2 per event? It would definitely shorten the meet but take away opportunity for a lot of athletes. I would be interested to hear opinions.
01/13/2018 11:18:05 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It's difficult because with one track there are really not that many meets. You add in ACT, SAT and I am sure many of deal with other school and non-school issues. Would it be possible to limit entries to three AND put a hard minimum standard in the meet? I get this might hurt schools like mine (small school) but putting a fair minimum might help. It is still very difficult to say that when your still trying to hit some qualifying times.
It's difficult because with one track there are really not that many meets. You add in ACT, SAT and I am sure many of deal with other school and non-school issues.

Would it be possible to limit entries to three AND put a hard minimum standard in the meet? I get this might hurt schools like mine (small school) but putting a fair minimum might help. It is still very difficult to say that when your still trying to hit some qualifying times.
01/13/2018 12:09:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would definitely go with 2/event for meets hosting 1-7A. Many folks might favor a shorter meet for the change and shuffle runners around throughout the season, if the goal is to hit the State qualify mark.
I would definitely go with 2/event for meets hosting 1-7A. Many folks might favor a shorter meet for the change and shuffle runners around throughout the season, if the goal is to hit the State qualify mark.
01/13/2018 2:55:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This is hard for schools not around bham. I am lucky...I can get to the JV meets but very hard for teams past Montgomery to compete on a weekday let alone every Saturday. Very hard to get all your kids in meets as it is, but what other choice is there. There are only 20-25 schools from outside Alabama coming to the meet...would be nice to limit some of the meets to AHSAA only but that doesnt appear possible.
This is hard for schools not around bham. I am lucky...I can get to the JV meets but very hard for teams past Montgomery to compete on a weekday let alone every Saturday. Very hard to get all your kids in meets as it is, but what other choice is there.

There are only 20-25 schools from outside Alabama coming to the meet...would be nice to limit some of the meets to AHSAA only but that doesnt appear possible.
01/13/2018 4:49:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would be okay with 2/event and 1 relay. When you consider that various sports have a limited number of starting positions for competition, it is not unusual to have limited opportunities for all members of a team to compete. Fewer athletes/event may produce more consistent training and workout efforts for those who want to earn the opportunity to compete. If athletes are choosing to work harder to earn the opportunity to compete, that may allow the coach more flexiblity to have one athlete compete in 3 events instead of 4 without a drop off in performance by having a different athlete filling that 4th event. One thought that I have has to do with the finances. Is there a minimum number of entries needed in order to cover all of the costs of having a meet at the CrossPlex? Would cutting from 3 to 2/event and 2 to 1 relay compromise a host organization's ability to cover these expenses?
I would be okay with 2/event and 1 relay. When you consider that various sports have a limited number of starting positions for competition, it is not unusual to have limited opportunities for all members of a team to compete.

Fewer athletes/event may produce more consistent training and workout efforts for those who want to earn the opportunity to compete. If athletes are choosing to work harder to earn the opportunity to compete, that may allow the coach more flexiblity to have one athlete compete in 3 events instead of 4 without a drop off in performance by having a different athlete filling that 4th event.

One thought that I have has to do with the finances. Is there a minimum number of entries needed in order to cover all of the costs of having a meet at the CrossPlex? Would cutting from 3 to 2/event and 2 to 1 relay compromise a host organization's ability to cover these expenses?
01/13/2018 6:48:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I noticed in Live Results for the MLK meet that heats are listed for all running events, 60 hurdles through 4 x 400. The meet information sheet states "All runners must check in 60 minutes before their race or be scratched. This will assure full heats." Do I tell my athletes to check in and then check for posting of any final/updated heat assignments? Thank you.
I noticed in Live Results for the MLK meet that heats are listed for all running events, 60 hurdles through 4 x 400.

The meet information sheet states "All runners must check in 60 minutes before their race or be scratched. This will assure full heats."

Do I tell my athletes to check in and then check for posting of any final/updated heat assignments?

Thank you.
01/13/2018 7:53:18 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
At this point in the season, teams have already had time to compete and get athletes in events. This is a one day event where all involved have to work the next day. I think limits is a good idea.
At this point in the season, teams have already had time to compete and get athletes in events. This is a one day event where all involved have to work the next day.

I think limits is a good idea.
01/13/2018 8:36:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@ross_g If covering costs is a factor, maybe $15/entry rather than $10. I have a small team, about 10 total, but I can imagine larger programs not favoring an increase.
@ross_g If covering costs is a factor, maybe $15/entry rather than $10. I have a small team, about 10 total, but I can imagine larger programs not favoring an increase.
01/14/2018 3:03:36 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
To answer ross_g's question; everything is pre-seeded. No need for a check-in one hour before the race. Everyone is entered and when called to the starting line, athletes need to be ready and show up. Thanks.
To answer ross_g's question; everything is pre-seeded. No need for a check-in one hour before the race. Everyone is entered and when called to the starting line, athletes need to be ready and show up. Thanks.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.