State Meet location
04/30/2017 11:16:50 AM
User
For the majority of public schools, track is a poor program. I know that this is brought up every year but can the board consider a central location to host the state meet? Gulf Shores just happens to be the farthest from being a central location and one of the most expensive places to stay. 250 and up per night and we checked, a lot of those 250 a night rooms go back down to 150 a night a week later. Is this in the best interest of our public and private schools considering 80% of attending school track programs go into debt to attend the state meet? Although I can afford it, 80% of the team can't. Hopefully in the future the board will consider what's best for the school programs and not for some cities financial gain.
For the majority of public schools, track is a poor program. I know that this is brought up every year but can the board consider a central location to host the state meet? Gulf Shores just happens to be the farthest from being a central location and one of the most expensive places to stay. 250 and up per night and we checked, a lot of those 250 a night rooms go back down to 150 a night a week later. Is this in the best interest of our public and private schools considering 80% of attending school track programs go into debt to attend the state meet? Although I can afford it, 80% of the team can't.
Hopefully in the future the board will consider what's best for the school programs and not for some cities financial gain.
04/30/2017 12:07:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I definitely agree! Changing locations, say every other year, to benefit schools in various regions schools would be a better strategy. Sad that schools in Huntsville must travel 6 hours for the meet.
I definitely agree! Changing locations, say every other year, to benefit schools in various regions schools would be a better strategy. Sad that schools in Huntsville must travel 6 hours for the meet.
04/30/2017 1:10:44 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@TEAMHOUSTON262 Ok. Where are you going to run the state track meets? Can you name a specific location that has a track venue to handle these meet? One of the stipulations is that the meets can not be at a school. My teams travel the 4 hours to Gulf Shores, 4 hours to Oakville Indian Mounds for Cross Country and 2 1/2 hours for Indoor.
@TEAMHOUSTON262
Ok. Where are you going to run the state track meets? Can you name a specific location that has a track venue to handle these meet? One of the stipulations is that the meets can not be at a school. My teams travel the 4 hours to Gulf Shores, 4 hours to Oakville Indian Mounds for Cross Country and 2 1/2 hours for Indoor.
04/30/2017 1:25:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachCope Simple: change the rules. I grow up with the meet being hosted at U of Alabama. They're plenty of facilities throughout the State. Finding a decent track facility outside of a school is rare.
@CoachCope Simple: change the rules. I grow up with the meet being hosted at U of Alabama. They're plenty of facilities throughout the State. Finding a decent track facility outside of a school is rare.
04/30/2017 1:54:48 PM
User
Pick any college or HS(Hoover) Central Alabama with a track and accommodations to support a large event. I'm sure some of the financial gain a school receives from the event can be shared in the track communities in some way. Maybe in paid transportation fees, etc.... If it takes a rules change to make this happen, then make it happen. At least explore the possibilities. I know plenty of parents that have kids running not making the trip because of room cost. A city's hospitality committee agreeing to upcharge that much for a HS event is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure city officials across this state would be more than willing to work out something for our public and private schools.
Pick any college or HS(Hoover) Central Alabama with a track and accommodations to support a large event. I'm sure some of the financial gain a school receives from the event can be shared in the track communities in some way. Maybe in paid transportation fees, etc.... If it takes a rules change to make this happen, then make it happen. At least explore the possibilities. I know plenty of parents that have kids running not making the trip because of room cost. A city's hospitality committee agreeing to upcharge that much for a HS event is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure city officials across this state would be more than willing to work out something for our public and private schools.
04/30/2017 3:31:06 PM
User
The city of Oxford has a new track that OVC will use this year for their outdoor championship. Choccolocco Park ;I hear its a fast track to. Google it.
The city of Oxford has a new track that OVC will use this year for their outdoor championship. Choccolocco Park ;I hear its a fast track to. Google it.
04/30/2017 4:16:21 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
This complaint is the SAME one teams from Mobile have for the Cross Country State Meet.... While the system isn't perfect, there are very few locations in the state that can host a state meet. The venue at Gulf Shores is arguably the best venue for the state meet. The top half of the state wants the meet there, the bottom half of the state wants the meet there...and the middle has no where to host it. I have the same issue as Coach Copeland...my team travels 4 hours to Mobile, 4 hours to Decatur, and 2 1/2 hours to Birmingham. Teams in Mobile travel 6 to Decatur, 4+ to Birmingham, and 45min to Gulf Shores. The opposite is true for Huntsville.
This complaint is the SAME one teams from Mobile have for the Cross Country State Meet.... While the system isn't perfect, there are very few locations in the state that can host a state meet. The venue at Gulf Shores is arguably the best venue for the state meet. The top half of the state wants the meet there, the bottom half of the state wants the meet there...and the middle has no where to host it.

I have the same issue as Coach Copeland...my team travels 4 hours to Mobile, 4 hours to Decatur, and 2 1/2 hours to Birmingham.

Teams in Mobile travel 6 to Decatur, 4+ to Birmingham, and 45min to Gulf Shores. The opposite is true for Huntsville.
04/30/2017 4:45:41 PM
User
@loremtr The XC state meet is 1 night, compared to 2-3 nights for track. 800 bucks per room for 3 nights with the "discount" times 6 rooms. That is what I have a problem with. A simple rule change would fix that. We have had regular season and sectional meets at college tracks. No reason to have an established rule that monopolizes a venue. It's financially irresponsible in an already financially broke public school system. We can preach fiscal responsibility but if we can't practice it, we are a bunch of blind guides.
@loremtr The XC state meet is 1 night, compared to 2-3 nights for track. 800 bucks per room for 3 nights with the "discount" times 6 rooms. That is what I have a problem with. A simple rule change would fix that. We have had regular season and sectional meets at college tracks. No reason to have an established rule that monopolizes a venue. It's financially irresponsible in an already financially broke public school system. We can preach fiscal responsibility but if we can't practice it, we are a bunch of blind guides.
04/30/2017 8:32:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@bham2052000 If you count the number of teams that participated in the 4A-7A State Championship last year, there were over 120 schools. Let's say that's at least 90 buses. Along with the parents, fans, officials, workers, etc., parking alone would be an issue for a high school to host. Then that is 2 full school days at a school that will have well over 1,000 extra students on their campus. What are principal's response to that situation. I coached back in the day when it was hosted at the University of Alabama for 4A-6A. Is graduation going on during that weekend as well? I know it is at Auburn University. By all means I do hate traveling that far and having to spend that much money as well. I'm with you if you can find the facility that can handle it. And let us not forget about the people that work the venue, from concessions, track officials, etc. It takes more work to host a meet of that capacity and having the people to know what's going on and to do than most people are aware of.
@bham2052000 If you count the number of teams that participated in the 4A-7A State Championship last year, there were over 120 schools. Let's say that's at least 90 buses. Along with the parents, fans, officials, workers, etc., parking alone would be an issue for a high school to host. Then that is 2 full school days at a school that will have well over 1,000 extra students on their campus. What are principal's response to that situation. I coached back in the day when it was hosted at the University of Alabama for 4A-6A. Is graduation going on during that weekend as well? I know it is at Auburn University. By all means I do hate traveling that far and having to spend that much money as well. I'm with you if you can find the facility that can handle it. And let us not forget about the people that work the venue, from concessions, track officials, etc. It takes more work to host a meet of that capacity and having the people to know what's going on and to do than most people are aware of.
04/30/2017 9:43:35 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
If you moved the state meet one weekend later, you could potentially have it at Auburn and Alabama, in an alternating fashion, just like football. All this is predicated on someone actually being able to host and run the meet at either location. Moving the date would deconflict it with graduation. Alternatively, it could potentially be held at more than two locations with 1A-3A at one place, 4A-5A at another, and 6A-7A at a third, if there were enough officials, venues, and interest. Gulf Shores has many positives (quality of venue, officials, experience, amenities, lodging availability), but a number of drawbacks as well (humidity, wind, expense, travel distance for many teams).
If you moved the state meet one weekend later, you could potentially have it at Auburn and Alabama, in an alternating fashion, just like football. All this is predicated on someone actually being able to host and run the meet at either location. Moving the date would deconflict it with graduation. Alternatively, it could potentially be held at more than two locations with 1A-3A at one place, 4A-5A at another, and 6A-7A at a third, if there were enough officials, venues, and interest. Gulf Shores has many positives (quality of venue, officials, experience, amenities, lodging availability), but a number of drawbacks as well (humidity, wind, expense, travel distance for many teams).
05/01/2017 8:43:57 AM
User
@CoachCope - If one of the stipulations is that it cannot be at a school, why is the 1A-3A at Cullman HS?
@CoachCope - If one of the stipulations is that it cannot be at a school, why is the 1A-3A at Cullman HS?
05/01/2017 8:53:06 AM
Coach
Cullman is not a 1A - 3A school.
Cullman is not a 1A - 3A school.
05/01/2017 9:41:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Changing the location around every other year, such as the Alabama State Games, will be a better solution. If attendance size is an issue when having it at a location, then split the classifications. Have all the locations follow the 1-3A setup of a 2 day meet. No matter which outcome, just make the experience easier across the board.
Changing the location around every other year, such as the Alabama State Games, will be a better solution. If attendance size is an issue when having it at a location, then split the classifications. Have all the locations follow the 1-3A setup of a 2 day meet.

No matter which outcome, just make the experience easier across the board.
05/01/2017 12:21:23 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Finding a location to host the State Meet is not that easy. 1. You need to find an adequate facility with good a good track and field facilities, parking, hotels etc. 2. You need to find a group willing to organize the meet. This is not easy. The number of volunteers needed to host a state meet is huge. Gulf Shores and Cullman do a great job with this. There is a smaller and smaller group that is willing to even host a Section meet due to the work involved. 3. While rotating the meet every couple of years sounds good, you would need to find the locations. After that, there is a learning curve that goes with putting on a quality meet. I would hate to go through this process every otehr year.
Finding a location to host the State Meet is not that easy.

1. You need to find an adequate facility with good a good track and field facilities, parking, hotels etc.

2. You need to find a group willing to organize the meet. This is not easy. The number of volunteers needed to host a state meet is huge. Gulf Shores and Cullman do a great job with this. There is a smaller and smaller group that is willing to even host a Section meet due to the work involved.

3. While rotating the meet every couple of years sounds good, you would need to find the locations. After that, there is a learning curve that goes with putting on a quality meet. I would hate to go through this process every otehr year.
05/01/2017 10:00:44 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
It is a shame that the City of Montgomery, home to the AHSAA has not invested in a sports complex to host ALL AHSAA championships ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I'm talking ALL championships. $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
It is a shame that the City of Montgomery, home to the AHSAA has not invested in a sports complex to host ALL AHSAA championships ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I'm talking ALL championships. $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
05/02/2017 11:42:03 PM
Coach
I have taken at least 1 athlete to state every year since I started coaching in the spring of 2010. Having the state meet a week later would make it SO much easier. It is always a rush to find out who makes it to state and then try to make all the arrangements to go in under a week. It takes a while to get things ready to leave my classes and finding out who makes it on a wildcard (especially without any OFFICIAL notification) on Sunday or Monday and having to be in Gulf Shores for the meet that starts on Thursday is a LOT. There needs to be a split in the 4A-7A since we have added the 7A classification. I have always felt the 4A is the forgotten stepchild at the state meet and the sectional meet also. Our sectional meet has 3A, 4A, 5A and 7A all at the same meet with 4A having 15 teams alone. Way to big to be enjoyable. Same for the state meet. Too long, too expensive in Gulf Shores and too far away. The location needs to alternate between north and south or something.
I have taken at least 1 athlete to state every year since I started coaching in the spring of 2010. Having the state meet a week later would make it SO much easier. It is always a rush to find out who makes it to state and then try to make all the arrangements to go in under a week. It takes a while to get things ready to leave my classes and finding out who makes it on a wildcard (especially without any OFFICIAL notification) on Sunday or Monday and having to be in Gulf Shores for the meet that starts on Thursday is a LOT. There needs to be a split in the 4A-7A since we have added the 7A classification. I have always felt the 4A is the forgotten stepchild at the state meet and the sectional meet also. Our sectional meet has 3A, 4A, 5A and 7A all at the same meet with 4A having 15 teams alone. Way to big to be enjoyable. Same for the state meet. Too long, too expensive in Gulf Shores and too far away. The location needs to alternate between north and south or something.
05/03/2017 11:16:42 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@fatty0 I took my team to their Oxford Varsity meet #3 and they LOVED the facility. Very nice and spacious. I could see this being a nice place for the 4A-5A meet if we could do a 3 location split.
@fatty0 I took my team to their Oxford Varsity meet #3 and they LOVED the facility. Very nice and spacious. I could see this being a nice place for the 4A-5A meet if we could do a 3 location split.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.