Indoor Alumni Age Group Invitational - Track Clubs Welcome 2014
08/18/2013 5:52:17 PM
Power User
Who is allowed to compete. I see an open area of 19 and up. I'm coming as a coach and an athlete but I'm not sure if I would be able to compete. I'm 46 years old and will be 47 at the time of the meet.
Who is allowed to compete. I see an open area of 19 and up. I'm coming as a coach and an athlete but I'm not sure if I would be able to compete. I'm 46 years old and will be 47 at the time of the meet.
08/18/2013 11:42:44 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@dhind Can you help him out?
@dhind
Can you help him out?
08/19/2013 2:34:10 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
With a 19 & over division, now anyone can compete. We will not divide those 19 & overs into age groups. Just trying to give everyone a chance to experience indoor. If you are accurate with your entered times, you should compete against those in your ability range.
With a 19 & over division, now anyone can compete. We will not divide those 19 & overs into age groups. Just trying to give everyone a chance to experience indoor. If you are accurate with your entered times, you should compete against those in your ability range.
10/28/2013 1:28:26 PM
User
In Florida, there is no "indoor track" season so we are looking for some meets to bring a few HS runners to compete in as unattached participants. Anything within a 5 hour drive from northwest Florida is do-able. Does anybody know if there are other meets like this that would allow unattached athletes to compete, preferable in January and February?
In Florida, there is no "indoor track" season so we are looking for some meets to bring a few HS runners to compete in as unattached participants. Anything within a 5 hour drive from northwest Florida is do-able. Does anybody know if there are other meets like this that would allow unattached athletes to compete, preferable in January and February?
10/28/2013 2:59:10 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Does Florida have a competition window like Georgia? If so, one of the AHSAA meets in January might work.
Does Florida have a competition window like Georgia? If so, one of the AHSAA meets in January might work.
11/02/2013 2:48:05 PM
User
@loremtr i dont know what you mean by a competition window. Help? And thanks!
@loremtr i dont know what you mean by a competition window. Help? And thanks!
11/04/2013 9:27:46 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@KellyKling Georgia has a period they will sanction indoor track meets. It is a two week window. As long as your home state will sanction the meet, you can compete. Check with your home state sanctioning body.
@KellyKling

Georgia has a period they will sanction indoor track meets. It is a two week window. As long as your home state will sanction the meet, you can compete. Check with your home state sanctioning body.
11/17/2013 12:35:38 AM
User
I'm 18 and a freshmen in college. I still have one more eligible year of club track and I was wondering if I'd be allowed to compete in this meet alone?
I'm 18 and a freshmen in college. I still have one more eligible year of club track and I was wondering if I'd be allowed to compete in this meet alone?
11/18/2013 2:26:39 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Yes--the Alumni Invitational is an open meet for anyone to compete. We added a 19 & over division this year so anyone can compete. Registration is on CoachO.com.
Yes--the Alumni Invitational is an open meet for anyone to compete.
We added a 19 & over division this year so anyone can compete. Registration is on CoachO.com.
12/10/2013 9:15:02 PM
Coach
Can someone please provide clarification? Can an Alabama High School team enter the meet under their school name or do they have to enter as a club/unattached team? I'm confused because the meet information states, "4 x 200 relay (Alabama MS & HS athletes must be from the same school)" but then later it states "Alabama MS & HS athletes may compete unattached without penalty according to AHSAA rules. (2 non-sanctioned events allowed per season with permission from your coach)".
Can someone please provide clarification? Can an Alabama High School team enter the meet under their school name or do they have to enter as a club/unattached team? I'm confused because the meet information states, "4 x 200 relay (Alabama MS & HS athletes must be from the same school)" but then later it states "Alabama MS & HS athletes may compete unattached without penalty according to AHSAA rules. (2 non-sanctioned events allowed per season with permission from your coach)".
12/16/2013 3:24:57 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Sorry for the delay in answering but I just had time to do a little research so I could give you the proper answer. Since this is not an AHSAA sanctioned event, your school cannot compete as a team. However, individuals may compete. On page 24 of the Eligibility By-Laws found on the AHSAA website under Section 6. OUTSIDE PARTICIPATION RULE, Addendum (A) INDEPENDENT RULE, it states, "A student who is a member of any school track, cross country or wrestling team may participate as an independent in two outside activities during the season of a sport with the permission of the school principal. The schedule of the school team, including its championship play, takes precedent over any outside participation of an individual. (Members of tennis, golf and swimming teams are not limited to the number of outside events.) NOTE: An outside event is one that is not sanctioned by the AHSAA." When it comes to relays, nothing is specifically addressed about this. However,if you look at the rule about it being illegal to compete on another team during the season, then a precedent has been set through the years that it is okay to run a relay with members of your own school team but not from another school's team. Mixing a team from different schools could be interpreted as being a member of a team other than your school team during the season. This is how relay teams have been able to run at indoor nationals for the past 12 plus years without breaking the rules. This has always been a gray area but this is the best explanation I can give. Coach Hind, Hoover HS.
Sorry for the delay in answering but I just had time to do a little research so I could give you the proper answer. Since this is not an AHSAA sanctioned event, your school cannot compete as a team. However, individuals may compete.

On page 24 of the Eligibility By-Laws found on the AHSAA website under Section 6. OUTSIDE PARTICIPATION RULE,
Addendum (A) INDEPENDENT RULE, it states, "A student who is a member of any school track, cross country or wrestling team may participate as an independent in two outside activities during the season of a sport with the permission of the school principal. The schedule of the school team, including its championship play, takes precedent over any outside participation of an individual. (Members of tennis, golf and swimming teams are not limited to the number of outside events.) NOTE: An outside event is one that is not sanctioned by the AHSAA."

When it comes to relays, nothing is specifically addressed about this. However,if you look at the rule about it being illegal to compete on another team during the season, then a precedent has been set through the years that it is okay to run a relay with members of your own school team but not from another school's team. Mixing a team from different schools could be interpreted as being a member of a team other than your school team during the season. This is how relay teams have been able to run at indoor nationals for the past 12 plus years without breaking the rules. This has always been a gray area but this is the best explanation I can give. Coach Hind, Hoover HS.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.