AHSAA State Track and Field 4A-7A 2017

• Coach
    DeeDeeSmithRHS
    I am new to coaching in AL so, forgive my question if obvious... My 800m runner got 6th with a 2:07. Why would he not be in on a wildcard since he has a faster time then 3 of the runners? Thanks for your help.
  • Coach
    PRO
    bham2052000 Edited
    Was the other 3 runners non-top 5 in all sections? The top 5 finishers in each of the 4 sections get State bids, then next 4 fastest in all the sections are selected.
  • Coach
    DeeDeeSmithRHS
    @bham2052000
    lowery, Abram and Saggers were 3,4,5 in Section 2 with slower times. So,correct me if I am wrong... the top 24 state times don't necessarily go...it is top 5 (if meet state times) then the rest is filled with the fastest wild cards from all sections....is that correct? I have the same situation with my female 1600 runner...
  • Tim Loreman
    Site Admin
    PRO
    loremtr Edited
    @DeeDeeSmithRHS

It could be that the wild cards from other sections were faster than the qualifiers from each section... so while there were slower qualifiers in other sections than your athlete, the wildcards were actually faster.

Edit: You are correct above. The top 24 FASTEST times do not necessarily go to state.