AHSAA State Indoor 1A-7A Championship 2018
01/19/2018 12:40:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have 3 girls who have met the minimum qualifying standard for shot put, why can I only enter 2 into this meet?
I have 3 girls who have met the minimum qualifying standard for shot put, why can I only enter 2 into this meet?
01/19/2018 1:07:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
According to the AHSAA handbook for Indoor Track, each school can enter up to two athletes per event and one relay team. I have four throwers qualified, but only two can compete.
According to the AHSAA handbook for Indoor Track, each school can enter up to two athletes per event and one relay team. I have four throwers qualified, but only two can compete.
01/19/2018 1:28:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks.
Thanks.
01/23/2018 2:06:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The same reason our girls XC was ranked 5th in the State, sent our top 5 runners to State but we couldn't compete as a team. Those are the rules we have to abide by...this year. In my opinion, the standards are too easy for both indoor and outdoor track yet not inclusive enough for XC. We don't need 10 runners competing from each team at state XC, it makes Alabama look foolish. Instead, allow a few 'wildcard' teams based on a virtual meet-it would amount to the same number of runners in each race at state and include the top 15 teams. We could qualify 7-8 girls in the indoor mile if everyone who met the standard got in, instead we have to try and mix up the events and relays to maximize number of people going to state. I realize it's different for throwers though.
The same reason our girls XC was ranked 5th in the State, sent our top 5 runners to State but we couldn't compete as a team. Those are the rules we have to abide by...this year. In my opinion, the standards are too easy for both indoor and outdoor track yet not inclusive enough for XC. We don't need 10 runners competing from each team at state XC, it makes Alabama look foolish. Instead, allow a few 'wildcard' teams based on a virtual meet-it would amount to the same number of runners in each race at state and include the top 15 teams. We could qualify 7-8 girls in the indoor mile if everyone who met the standard got in, instead we have to try and mix up the events and relays to maximize number of people going to state. I realize it's different for throwers though.
01/28/2018 2:05:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@sjzibas I understand wildcards for outdoor track, since we can verify the exact distance, but to do so for XC would not be right. Not all sectional 5K courses are equal, therefore, no wildcards. Having a team finish fourth at sectionals and qualifying five athletes, I understand how you feel. Perhaps the rule should be ammended that if you qualify five individuals that they could compete as a team. With that being said, the coaching committee for XC already meet so there would be little chance for any changes to be made for XC next year. The rules are set and it is fair. XC, indoor, and outdoor are all separate sports and are treated that way.
@sjzibas
I understand wildcards for outdoor track, since we can verify the exact distance, but to do so for XC would not be right. Not all sectional 5K courses are equal, therefore, no wildcards. Having a team finish fourth at sectionals and qualifying five athletes, I understand how you feel. Perhaps the rule should be ammended that if you qualify five individuals that they could compete as a team. With that being said, the coaching committee for XC already meet so there would be little chance for any changes to be made for XC next year. The rules are set and it is fair. XC, indoor, and outdoor are all separate sports and are treated that way.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.